This delicious low carb Moussaka has become a regular meal in our house and is perfect for winter time. It is a lovely low carb warming dish and suitable for the induction phase. It works well with beef mince as well as lamb mince. It is best to slice the aubergine and cover with salt (see step one) a few hours beforehand.
Ingredients – 6 servings:
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 700g/1½lb lamb mince
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼tsp cinnamon
- ¼tsp allspice
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped (or 1 tsp dried oregano)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp fresh, soft thyme leaves (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- 1 large aubergines, cut into 1cm slices
- Salt and pepper
- Cheddar cheese cut into slices
Carbs: 6g approx per serving
Phase: Suitable for all phase
- Place a layer of the aubergine slices in a colander, sprinkle with salt, add another layer and sprinkle with salt and so on until you have added all of the aubergine. It is best to leave for a few hours if possible. This draws out any bitter juices.
- Heat coconut oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook gently for 10 minutes or until the onion is soft, but not coloured. Add the meat and cook until browned.
- Add the garlic and break up the meat with a wooden fork until it has a loose texture.
- Stir the cinnamon, allspice, chopped tomatoes, oregano, bay leaves and thyme into the casserole. Simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
- Rinse the aubergines and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Cover the base of an ovenproof dish with a third of the mince then cover with a layer of aubergine slices. Repeat the layers, ending in the last of the mince. Add the slices of cheddar on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180C/350F/Gas4 for 50-60 minutes, until bubbling and golden. Allow the moussaka to settle for 5 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.