Creamed spinach is a delicious and very easy dish to make and would go great with fish. It is also naturally gluten free.
There are lots of recipes for this online but we’ve just done the work of converting cups to grams and using fresh spinach rather than the frozen spinach (not sure you can even buy this in Ireland?) you see in most recipes.
Ingredients – serves 4:
- An onion finely sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped finely (optional)
- 225g spinach
- 100g full fat Philadelphia cream cheese
- 1 tbsp of butter or coconut oil
- Black pepper to taste
Carbs: 7.5g approx per serving (Tip: Omitting the onion would give a carb count of 2.1 per serving)
Phase: Suitable for all phases
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter or coconut oil in a large saucepan
- Add onions and garlic and sauté until soft
- Add the spinach and toss it gently as it wilts
- When it is mostly wilted add in the cream cheese
- Stir for a minute or two and add pepper to taste.
That’s it! Enjoy!
In case you want to try some variations here are a few links:
- Nutmeg Spinach – this one from the Atkins site uses double cream instead of cream cheese and adds nutmeg which sounds lovely.
- Here’s an excellent creamed spinach recipe complete with pictures of each step in cooking it.
- Here’s a creamy spinach recipe from the Philadelphia site – just be sure to use full fat Philadelphia instead of ‘Light’ and omit the milk! Like most low fat foods, the low fat one is higher in carbs. Plus saturated fats like cheese are NOT bad for heart health.
- This Coconut Creamed Spinach sounds good too – it uses coconut milk instead of cream cheese.