This recipe is inspired by this Molten Chocolate Cake recipe. It is pretty much the same except with the amounts in grams and one or two other minor modifications. They are so quick and easy to make and absolutely delicious – try having them warm with some cream!
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 60g unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped (80% or 85% cocoa)
- 1 tablespoon soy flour
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon sugar substitute, plus extra for dusting
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the chocolate choose one with 80% cocoa or higher. The Lindt chocolate is a good one for this and is available in most Irish supermarkets.
You can buy soy flour in most Irish supermarkets or in any health shop. Soy flour is gluten free itself but can sometimes contain gluten as its often grown in rotation with wheat – so if you are coeliac do ask for more details in your health shop.
We found that a tablespoon of sweetener was plenty for these muffins. Sweetener is one tenth the weight of sugar so if you had a recipe that called for 100g of sugar, you would just need 10g of a sweetener like Stevia.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Generously grease four 6-ounce ramekins with butter and dust with sugar substitute. Alternatively use bun cases. Place ramekins or bun cases on a baking sheet.
- Place butter and chocolate in a double boiler over medium heat and cook until just melted, about 3 minutes. (Alternatively put butter and chocolate in a small saucepan and place this saucepan into a larger one with water.) Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature
- Pour chocolate mixture into a large bowl; add soy flour and stir until just combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, egg yolks, sugar substitute and vanilla with an electric mixer on high speed until almost firm peaks form, about 4 minutes
- In three additions, fold egg mixture into chocolate mixture.
- Divide batter in ramekins or bun cases. Bake 8-9 minutes until a toothpick inserted near edge comes out clean and inserted in center comes out with some batter.
- Cool 3 minutes. Run knife around edge, turn upside down to release onto serving plates. Serve immediately.