This low carb cheesecake is simple to make and really delicious. You can either make a chocolate flavoured for for a lemon/orange flavoured cheesecake see the Alternative section at the end. If you are short on time, I often find it easier to make the base in the evening and then make the topping at a different time – that way the base is cool when you add the topping.
Both Tesco’s and Supervalu stock Dr.Oetker Gelatine. Large 200g bags of pecan nuts in Lidl are just €3.9 so worth popping in if you have one nearby. They also sell dark chocolate – we usually use the one with 85% cocoa – the higher the percentage of cocoa the lower the carbs too. Enjoy!
Ingredients – 8 servings:
For the base
- 400g pecan halves (chopped)
- 75g butter
- 1 tbsp sweetener (optional)
For the topping:
- 1 envelope unflavoured gelatine
- 50ml cold water
- 500g cream cheese (softened)
- 50g unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp Stevia or other sweetener (optional)
- Fresh berries for garnish (optional)
- Pecans for garnish (optional)
Carbs: 6.7g approx per serving
Phase: Suitable for phase 4
For the base:
- Heat the oven to 180°c and butter a 9-inch springform pan
- Chop the pecans using a food processor or a knife
- In a medium bowl combine pecans, butter and sweetener (if using).
- Mix well and press onto bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes until golden.
- Allow to cool.
For the topping:
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatine over 50ml cold water. (Check packet for amount of gelatine to use for 50ml water). Let soften for one minute. Stir over a low heat until dissolved and set aside.
- Place cream cheese in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer at high speed until fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla.
- At low speed beat in dissolved gelatine.
- Fold the melted chocolate into the cream cheese.
- Spread cream cheese onto the cooled pecan crust.
- Refrigerate 3 hours and if desired garnish with berries and pecans.
Alternative – lemon or orange flavoured cheesecake:
To make a lemon or orange flavoured cake instead, omit the chocolate and vanilla and add a teaspoon of lemon extract and a tablespoon of grated orange or lemon zest to the cream cheese after beating it.
Carbs: 5.6g with lemon zest or 6.6g with orange zest approx per serving.